Sunday, February 2, 2014

So Hauler: Japan

If I could only get makeup and brushes from one country... I'd choose Japan. I'm sure a big part of the allure is the exclusivity of it, but mostly, I just love the unique textures and complex (often shimmery) colors. So when someone offered to pick somethings up from Japan while they were visiting I jumped at the chance. Makeup and brush shopping in Japan is definitely on my Bucket List... and yes, I know that sounds really a little crazy to the general population.

Chikuhodo 
The Z-Series as a whole is definitely lust-worthy. The practical side of me knew I shouldn't spend 71,610 yen for the complete set so I settled on two, Z-2 & Z-8. To be honest, I'm already plotting my next purchase (MK-2 & Z-1) but I'm holding out for now. I'd debated whether or not to do a full review on this, but in all honestly, I don't think I could do them justice. However, Sonia of Sweet Makeup Temptations has an amazing review here and here... just be prepared to apply for a new credit card. Suffice it to say both brushes I purchased are absolutely dreamy. Essentially, the Z-2 is a sharper, more luxurious & expensive version of the Wayne Goss 02 or the Hakuhodo J5521. I use it for contouring, highlighting, and sometimes even blush. The Z-8 is actually smaller than I imaged it would be but just as soft as I'd hoped. I don't think it's as soft as the LE Koyudo Red Squirrel, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Addiction by Ayako
Kohl Eyeliner in "Night Dive": This is the only powder eyeliner I own. I've got mixed feelings on it. Yes, I like it, but it takes a few passes for it to become opaque, especially with the black shade. I have other black eyeshadows that I would imagine would work the same. That said, both shades in this duo are densely-packed powders with a bit of complex shimmer running through it.
Eyeshadow in "Rigoletto" (ME): In the few shadows I've tried of Addiction, they definitely excel at those with metallic (ME) finishes. This shade is no exception. It's complex, pigmented, and densely packed. One of my all-time favorite eyeshadow formulas.
Eyeliner Pencil in "Sugar Blond": This came highly recommended by one of my all-time favorite bloggers. It's a more yellow, flesh-toned pencil that I plan on using on my waterline. It has a very fine amount of shimmer in it, just enough to give it more of a satin-like finish. I know some people use this for highlighting their cupids bow as well. I'm anticipating this will be very long-wearing as it required a makeup cleanser to remove the small swatch on my arm.

THREE
Flash Performance Eyeliner in "07 Eye Doll": Definitely check out the review by Kate of Drivel About Frivol for an in-depth review and swatches. 
Eyeshadow Duo in 01 "Love Fascination": So THREE's line of duos is all about layering a powder over a cream. The results is a beautiful, complex color. Again, I'd recommend checking out Kate's post on a few other shades from the line. In this duo, the black shade is full of complex sparkle. In terms of formula, the black is a a silky, powdery, cream (not really moist/emollient). The lighter shade is a silky powder that's a sheer, somewhat complex taupe. When the powder is applied over the cream, the color is somewhat reminiscent of the THREE liner in 07... no complaints here. I'm actually scouting out the other colors from the same line, especially 03 and 06.
The dark shade broke a little. I'll see if it's able to be re-pressed with alcohol... wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment