Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Beauty Subscription SmackDown: March 2013

Beauty subscription boxes are relatively new to me and while some months are better than others-- it's a great way to get your hands on new products without committing to buy them. I've been subscribed to Birchbox and Ipsy (formerly Glam Bag) since this last December. If you use or prefer other subscriptions I'd love to know what you think!


In general, I like the brand selection of Birchbox as well as the fact that you can accrue points and use them in the Birchbox Shop. Ipsy definitely gives you better sample sizes and I like that everyone basically gets the same bag. 

Birchbox Samples


Twistband Headband in Silver: This definitely isn't a groundbreaking product, and I still struggled to keep it from slipping but I'm happy to have this. I use it to hold my hair back when I'm putting makeup off and on. 

Madewell for Birchbox Nail Emery Board: If nail files excite you, then I guess this is perfect. I'll definitely use this, but it's kind of the equivalent of giving me a roll of toilet paper. 

Whish Shave Cream in Blueberry: Definitely my favorite thing in the box so far. Smells great, semi-moisturizing, and allows you to get a close shave.

Benefit Stay Don't Stray Eyeshadow Primer: This has a slight tint to it, which I really like. I haven't tried it enough to decide if it does a good job of holding eyeshadow but it did seem to make it appear a little more pigmented. 

Evologie Intensive Blemish Serum: I'm in love with my Origins Super Remover but I'm happy to try this little baby out. 

Ipsy Samples


(Left to Right: So Vein, Sand Dune)
LA Fresh Travel-Lite Makeup Remover Wipes: If you love a fiery burning sensation in your eyes these may be perfect for you! I rarely react to products but this had me running to the sink to rinse my eyes out. A feat which was exceptionally hard to do with tears streaming down my face.

Juice Beauty Hydrating Mist: This was refreshing enough but had a smell that was even more "herbally" than Caudalie's Beauty Elixir. So far I feel kind of neutral about it.

GlamRX Mini Freestyle Palette: I'd actually been wanting to try a Z Palette for awhile so I'm glad I got this. I like that in includes a mirror and while it's small it would be able to hold a few essential pots. It's worth noting that the Coastal Scents eyeshadows in last month's box aren't metal and don't stick to this. I figured this out after completely crushing two of them :(

Yaby Eyeshadow Refill in So Vein and Sand Dune: Not impressed by these. Similar in consistency to NYX's single eye shadows but with less color-payoff. 

Overall, I think I preferred Birchbox this month (which is a first). Still, I love the concept of beauty subscription boxes and trying out new products that I most likely wouldn't have come across. 

No comments:

Post a Comment