Saturday, September 14, 2013

Review: Hourglass Femme Nude Lip Stylo in "Nude No. 6"

Price: $30 from Sephora

First of all, I really love Hourglass. Some of their offerings are definitely in my short list of holy grail products. So when I heard about their summer launch of nude lipsticks, I was definitely interested. The Femme Nude Lip Stylo's claim to be full-coverage, satin lipsticks with a "nude for every mood" and skin-tone.

There are six shades in the range with the basic principal of "the darker the shade, the darker the skin-tone". Many of the reviews on Sephora recommended that everyone (even those with fair skin) should go for the darker shades to avoid looking dead. So, I decided to pick the darkest of the lot--which I can now admit was a stupid choice. No. 6 is described as a "deep mauve nude". I found it to be quite a brown mauve which I'm sure would look good on someone, but that person just isn't me. I would describe it as an unflattering "my lips but browner" shade that makes my teeth look yellow. But again, I definitely picked the wrong shade.

In terms of the formula, it's alright. I totally agree that it has a satin finish, lasts for about 4 hours, isn't drying or especially hydrating, and doesn't overly emphasize lines or textural problems on the lips. What I really can't stand is the smell. It smells like expired/cheap lipstick. I have a few Estee Lauder lipsticks that I've kept for sentimental reasons, which were a hand-me-down from my mom (circa 1997) that smell the exact same. I don't believe there's any added fragrance in the Hourglass lipstick, but it's just so off-putting it totally negates the expensive-feeling packaging.

No comments:

Post a Comment