Sunday, August 25, 2013

Big Talkers: IT Cosmetics Brow Power Universal Brow Pencil Review

IT Cosmetics Brow Power Universal Brow Pencil: Truly Universal?
Almost every product makes some sort of claim-- waterproof, long-wearing, crease-proof, color correcting, tone correcting, hydrating, anti-aging, etc., etc... Testing products against their promises could make for a blog in itself but I figured it would be entertaining, both for you and me, to test just a few products and see if they actually can do what they promise. What do you think of this becoming a series on the blog?

Cost: $24 from Birchbox
What it Claims: This pencil claims to be waterproof and non-smudging. However, the biggest claim is that this pencil is a universal shade that, depending on the amount of pressure used when applying it, will work for everyone. IT Cosmetics states that using it with light pressure will suit light hair, medium pressure will suit medium hair, and firm pressure will suit dark hair.
Questions: First, is this brow pencil truly universal? Second, could the principal of firmer pressures for darker hair colors be applied to any other pencil-- would the results be the same? Lastly, is it waterproof and non-smudging?
Results: Honestly, no, this isn't a universal shade. If everyones eyebrows were the same tone, then yes, this would be universal. Fortunately (or unfortunately for IT Cosmetics), we all are different and not everyone has cool-toned eyebrows. If you have really dark brows I think it would be uncomfortable to apply this because of the amount of pressure it would take to get the desired intensity. Also, I noticed that it did get a little "chunky" when I used really firm pressure. So unless you want eyebrow dingleberries, this might be best to avoid. That said, this pencil does seem to suit a good portion of the people I tested it on. I think those with clearly warm-toned eyebrows would struggle to make this work. It does last all day on my with only a small amount of fading or smearing. To be fair, I have bangs which tend to move eyebrows around a little bit. I wouldn't call this waterproof, but it is water-resistant, more so that the Lancôme Le Crayon Poudre that I've mentioned before in a monthly favorites posting. It doesn't last as long on me as the Make Up For Ever Aqua Brow (which is also more water-resistant) and I think it smudges more than the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz.
Conclusion: I wouldn't buy it again but I don't consider it a waste of money either. If I were to recommend one brow product it would definitely be the Anastasia Brow Wiz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment